The Faculty of Chemistry, University of Warsaw, is a large research and teaching center. There are fully developed programs in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, inorganic, nuclear, organic and physical chemistry as well as in chemical physics. The Faculty has been regarded as one of the top chemistry departments in the country for decades, and it attracts outstanding faculty and students. Many faculty members have distinguished themselves both nationally and internationally.
Historically, chemistry has been offered at the University of Warsaw since the school was founded in 1816. Poland was partitioned at that time, and Warsaw was incorporated into Russian Empire. Nevertheless, it was a period of relative liberty, and the authorities were favorable to the progress of culture, science and technology. Unfortunately, later political events led to repressions which slowed down the development of natural sciences including chemistry. Such situation lasted until 1918
when the University of Warsaw was reorganized in the independent state of Poland. Only twenty years later, the functioning of the University was brutally interrupted by Nazi occupation during the Second World War. At the end of war, the University of Warsaw was revived in 1945. At that time, chemistry was offered at the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. Later, as a result of the steady increase of students and faculty, and independent Faculty of Chemistry was established in 1954.
Initially, the structure of the Faculty was based on chairs; later, it consisted from large Institute of Fundamental Problems of Chemistry and Chair of Chemical Technology. Following organizational changes in 1981 and 1989, the Faculty is now divided to teaching divisions and research laboratories. Recently, with the significant political changes leading to the democratization and economic growth of Poland, the Faculty has been undergoing modernization in terms of teaching and research organization.
by P. Kulesza