1. Chemistry Department
Vice-Dean (scientific & foreign affairs)
Vice-Dean (student affairs)
Vice-Dean (financial & development affairs)
Head of Doctoral Studies
Dr. D.Sc. Andrzej Kudelski, prof. UW
Prof. Dr. D.Sc. Rafał Siciński
Dr. D.Sc. Beata Krasnodębska-Ostręga
Dr. D.Sc. Zbigniew Rogulski
Prof. Dr. D.Sc. Michał Cyrański
The Polish Scientific Research Council surveys regularly rank the Chemistry Department of the University of Warsaw among the top graduate and research institutes in terms of the excellence of its faculty and the quality of faculty research and publications. Furthermore, the Polish Chemical Society considers this department to be one of the best schools nationwide. The faculty is of international repute. Keeping close relations with their colleagues abroad, the scientists often inspire new scientific ideas. The laboratories at the Department are well equipped, enabling students and staff to conduct high level research activities. The undergraduate, graduate, and advanced graduate programs offer unique learning opportunities that combine general education with basic skills and knowledge in chemistry. These programs equip people for employment in various chemistry related fields.
Currently, 700 students are enrolled at the Chemistry Department of the University of Warsaw and, each year, 80-90 students obtain their M.Sc. Diploma. Students who achieve a grade-point average of 4.0 receive scientific stipends. Students, who obtained their M.Sc. diplomas at the Department, are encouraged to continue their studies as Ph.D. students. The Ph.D. studies are tuition-free; students receive stipends and are usually eligible for a low cost accommodation in a residence. At the moment, about 100 students are enrolled in a Ph. D. program at the Department.
Beginning in 1915, Chemistry at the University of Warsaw was developed under the auspicies of the Philosophy Department. In 1927, thanks to the effort of highly recognized professors: Wiktor Lampe, Wojciech Swietoslawski, Stefan Pienkowski and Stanislaw Thugutt, a separate Department of Mathematics and Science was established. In 1952, the Physics and Chemistry Department was created and was soon divided into two separate units. This lead, in 1955, to the formation of the independent Chemistry Department at the University of Warsaw.
Since 1955, the Chemistry Department has been located in a separate building at Pasteura 1. This building was erected in 1939, just before the beginning of the Second World War in order to accommodate the Chemistry Department. Instead, however, it was used by Troops during the war. Nowadays, the building at Pasteura 1 hosts most of the laboratories, lecture halls, seminar rooms, classrooms, and auditorium as well as the machine and computer facilities. Inorganic, Organic, Physical Chemistry and Technology Faculties are located at Pasteura 1. Another building, at Zwirki i Wigury 95/97 built later, is a base for Physics, Radiochemistry, Education, and recently, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) laboratories.
1.2. Student's Office
The Chemistry Department Student’s Office is located in the main building at Pasteura 1 to the left of the main entrance, and it is open from 11:00 till 14:00 every day except Fridays and Saturdays. The telephone number to the Office is +48 22 552 62 11 - 12.
The Chemistry Department Library is located in the main building at Pasteura 1 and, during the term, it is open from 9:00 till 19:00 on weekdays and from 9:00 till 14:00 on Saturdays (phone +48 22 552 62 43. Photocopiers are located in the Library and also in the main hall.